Monday, April 18, 2016

DIY Racing Stripe Desk

Oscar is still on a huge maze-drawing kick. He sits for hours every day drawing complicated mazes of every subject imaginable-- valentines, Super Mario Bros., the auditory system, words ("OSCAR" is his favorite to draw a maze through), the Mousetrap game, scenes from Totoro. As much as I love watching a budding skill, however, we had a problem. Despite my constant reminding him to put his finished papers in a designated box, his mazes had completely taken over the dining room table. It was clear to me that Oscar needed his very own space for creating. 

With permission, I dug a long-forgotten student desk out of my parents' shed. It was pretty beat-up, and years of neglect had left the seat very rough-- it would need to be refinished, or Oscar would be getting a bottomful of splinters every time he sat down on the thing. So I decided to have some fun with it and paint racing stripes on it.



It's my first furniture painting project, so it has its share of flaws, but I am so pleased with how it turned out. I left two stripes bare to let let the pretty wood grain shine through. Best of all, Oscar loves it, and I have my dining room table back! Win win!

No comments:

Post a Comment